Hashtag Improve Your Life in Four Words – ESOL Game
This is a fun ESOL game inspired by the recent Twitter hashtag: #ImproveYourLifeIn4Words
- SS (students) work in pairs or small groups. They access the hashtag on Twitter and select ten (or more, or fewer) tweets. T (teacher) monitors and helps.
- They write the four-word phrases onto a sheet of paper, then delete one of the words from each phrase. SS could focus on deleting words from a particular word class, e.g. verbs, adjectives, or prepositions, etc.
- Next, SS exchange their paper with another pair or group, who have to complete each gap with one word only – or more than one word, if you want the game to be easier. Then both pairs of groups come together and compare their answers with the original tweets.
- Twist: SS have to suggest more than one word that could possibly fit, e.g. five words – the funnier the better!
- The whole class come together and different groups present their work to the class.
- Final quick-fire round #1: T (or a student) collects all of the four-word phrases and reads them to SS going round the whole class in a circle. The reader omits the final word and the student has to say the first thing that comes to mind, e.g. “I would buy…” “Sausages.” / “Bread.” / “A pizza.” – and so on. You could make it competitive by putting a five-second timer on each student – if they can’t think of anything, they sit out, and the game continues until there is one student as the winner!
- Final quick-fire round #2: T (or SS) collect a number of four-word phrases from the hashtag on Twitter. Play the quick-fire round, as above, but this time SS must come up with the real final word from the tweets. You could play it competitively too, as above.
Example (with tweets below):
Education gives children __________. e.g. headaches
Pledge to go __________! e.g. green
Learn to love __________. e.g. homework
__________, then laugh more. e.g. eat
Laugh whenever it’s __________. e.g. raining
Think about others __________. e.g. sometimes
Go to bed __________. e.g. late
Watch the Penguin __________. e.g. film
A Weekend In __________. e.g. Grimsby
Read more, sing __________! e.g. less
— AE Publications (@AE_Excellence) February 13, 2019
— PETA Asia (@PETAAsia) February 13, 2019
— Bridget?????????? (@Splash0fGinge) February 13, 2019
Laugh, then laugh more pic.twitter.com/SkTyxiXN7q
— Vic (@_vcrz5) February 13, 2019
— Brie Queso (@candidqueso) February 13, 2019
— TapMedic (@TapMedic) February 13, 2019
— Gazry (@GazryGames) February 13, 2019
— Edinburgh Zoo (@EdinburghZoo) February 13, 2019
— Visit York (@VisitYork) February 13, 2019
— Bookbug (@Bookbug_SBT) February 13, 2019
Title image: https://pixabay.com