2.0.1 This unit is called Transport. We are going to learn about the following topics:
- Word Classes
- 5 Tenses and 5 Forms of the Verb
- Present Simple and Present Continuous
- Adverbs of Frequency
- Sentence Stress and the Sound Spine
- Shapes and Colours
- 7. Telling the Time
Ex. 2.0.1 Speaking & Listening Discuss the following questions with a partner or small group:
- What is your favourite mode of transport? Why? What is your least favourite mode of transport? Why?
- Can you drive? Tell me about learning to drive (or why you can’t drive).
- If you had the choice, where in the world would you visit that you haven’t visited before? Why? Who would you take with you? How long would you go for?
- Can you ride a bike? Tell me about learning to ride a bike (or why you can’t ride a bike).
- Tell me about a terrible journey that you’ve taken, e.g. you had one of these problems: cancellation / accident / lost luggage, etc.
- What is the biggest problem with public transport in your town or city?
- How do you think transport will be different from now in fifty years’ time?
- Would you like to fly in a space shuttle? Why? / Why not? How would you feel if you had this opportunity?
Ex. 2.0.2 Speaking & Listening Work with a partner or small group. Study the vocabulary from Ex. 2.0.4, below. Think of some real-life situations where you could use the following functions, then create short dialogues or role plays:
Ex. 2.0.3 Writing You want to get a new bus pass for reduced travel on buses and trains. Complete the form on this handout: writing-activity-bus-pass-application-form.
Ex. 2.0.4 Writing Here are 40 words connected with the topic of Transport. Translate them into your first language and learn them: