4.0.1 This unit is called Family. We are going to learn about the following topics:
- Wh- Questions
- Yes / No Questions
- Subject Pronouns
- Describing People
- Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous
- Auxiliary Verbs
- Punctuation Marks
Ex. 4.0.1 Speaking & Listening Discuss the following questions with a partner or small group:
- Tell me about your family.
- Is there anyone in your family that you don’t like or don’t get on with? Why not?
- Who is the funniest member of your family? Why?
- Have you ever lived far away from your family? Would you like to in the future? How did / would you feel?
- Do you have children? Tell me about them. If not, would you like to have children in the future? Why? / Why not?
- Which member of your family are you closest to? Why?
- Have you ever tried to make your family tree? Tell me about it. If not, would you like to start making one? Why? / Why not?
- How important is your family to you? Are families important to society? Why? / Why not? What would society be like without families?
Ex. 4.0.2 Writing Here are 40 words connected with the topic of Family. Translate them into your first language and learn them:
- adopted family_________________
- foster parent_________________
- nephew _________________
- great granddad_________________
- great grandma_________________
Ex. 4.0.3 Writing Write the 40 words above in the correct boxes:
Ex. 4.0.4 Reading Match the people:
Ex. 4.0.5 Reading Complete the gaps using words from the vocabulary above:
- My ______________ is married to my granddad.
- My ______________ is married to my wife’s mother.
- My ______________ is my aunt and uncle’s child.
- My dad’s sister’s husband is his ______________.
- These words do not describe blood relatives: _____________________________________.
- If my son’s ______________ gives birth to a baby girl, I will have a new ______________.
- My ______________ is a person that I used to have a relationship with.
- I’m not engaged to or married to my ______________, but we are going out.
- My ______________ looks after me instead of my parents.
- An ______________ is my family, but not my original family.
- Which family words sound like: a) had ________; b) aren’t ________; c) maybe________; d) mild ________; e) sun ________; f) peace ________?
- My ______________ is the man who I have agreed to spend the rest of my life with.
Ex. 4.0.6 Reading Meet Phil and his family:
Look at Phil’s family tree. Are these sentences true or false? If a sentence is false, say why:
- Tina is Phil’s mum._________________________________
- Jenny is Phil’s sister._________________________________
- Thomas is Phil’s granddad._________________________________
- Harriet is Phil’s grandma._________________________________
- Ian is Phil’s brother-in-law._________________________________
- Hannah is Phil’s nephew._________________________________
- Mary is also Phil’s grandma._________________________________
- Phil is Hannah’s uncle._________________________________
- Phil is Thomas and Tina’s daughter._________________________________
- Phil is Simon and Harriet’s grandson._________________________________
- Phil is Jenny’s brother._________________________________
- Robert is Phil’s brother._________________________________
Ex. 4.0.7 Reading Look at Phil’s family tree again and complete these sentences:
- Tina is Phil’s_________________________________
- Jenny is Phil’s_________________________________
- Hannah is Phil’s_________________________________
- Thomas is Phil’s_________________________________
- Simon is Phil’s_________________________________
- Harriet is Phil’s_________________________________
- Robert is Phil’s_________________________________
- Phil is Thomas and Tina’s_________________________________
- Phil is Hannah’s_________________________________
- Phil is Jenny’s_________________________________
- Phil is Ian and Mary’s_________________________________
- Phil is Robert’s_________________________________
Ex. 4.0.8 Reading Complete the sentences below using one of these words:
‘My sister’s son is my ____________________.’
‘My brother’s wife is my ____________________.’
‘The woman I’m divorced from is my ____________________.’
‘The woman I live with now is my ____________________.We’re not married or engaged though.’
‘My sister isn’t in a relationship at the moment. She’s ____________________.’
‘The man I’m going out with is my ____________________.’
‘My aunt’s daughter is my ____________________.’
‘The little boy whose christening I went to is my ____________________.’
‘My mum’s old friend Paula is my ____________________.’
‘My mum and dad aren’t married any more. They are ____________________.’
Ex. 4.0.9 Reading Complete the sentences below using one of these words:
‘My last partner was called David. He has two ____________________.’
‘I live with my current ____________________,Dan.’
‘Dan’s mum is dead. His dad Raymond is a ____________________.’
‘My little sister and her boyfriend have just got ____________________.’
‘My grandma often talks about her dad. He was my ____________________.’
‘My mum has lived on her own for ten years since my dad died. She’s a ____________________.’
‘I was married for six years. I don’t really see Jon. He’s my ____________________.’
‘My brother is always going on about Lena, his new ____________________.’
‘If I get engaged to my current partner Nick, I’d be his ____________________.’
‘Nick’s family isn’t really normal. You could say it’s ____________________.’
Ex. 4.0.10 Speaking and Listening Work with a partner or small group. Study the vocabulary above. Think of some real-life situations where you could use the following functions, then create short dialogues or role plays based on the topic of Family:
Ex. 4.0.11 Reading Fill in the gaps below with the correct family word:
- My grandma’s granddaughter is my____________________.
- My son’s grandmother is my ____________________.
- My son’s wife is my ____________________.
- My mother’s son is my____________________.
- My nephew’s sister is my____________________.
- The man I’m married to is my____________________.
- My brother’s wife is my____________________.
- The person I live with as if I’m married to them is my________________.
- The man I used to be married to is my____________________.
- My grandfather’s wife is my____________________.
- My mother’s sister is my____________________.
- My father’s father is my____________________.
- My cousin’s father is my____________________.
- The boy I gave birth to is my____________________.
- My daughter’s son is my____________________.
- The woman I married is my____________________.
- My son’s sister is my____________________.
- My aunt’s daughter is my____________________.
- My sister’s husband is my____________________.
- My brother’s father is my____________________.
Ex. 4.0.12 Speaking and Listening Work with a partner. Show them a photo of your family. Describe one of them for your partner to guess. Then swap roles and continue.
Ex. 4.0.13 Writing Write about your family. Describe interesting members. Download and print the worksheet below: