Practise everyday tenses – including past simple and present perfect – with this free grammar practice exercise!
Complete each sentence with one of these words or phrases:
1. We’ve walked a long way _______________, haven’t we?
2. Tom hurt himself while rollerblading _______________.
3. We’re having dinner at a nice restaurant _______________.
4. I bought some fresh bananas at the market _______________.
5. I get the bus at 6am _______________.
6. A new bookshop opened in the city centre _______________.
7. We will bake a delicious cake for grandma’s birthday ______________.
8. I chat with my friend at the bus stop _______________.
9. Claire is getting off the train _______________.
10. Sarah has had a really good day _______________.
11.They’ll finish work at five o’clock ___________ and then go for a meal.
12.I have been to the doctor’s ___________, because I’ve got a bad cold.
13.George will wear a tie to his cousin’s funeral.
14.Paul has cereal and milk for his breakfast _______________.
15.I’m listening to the radio _______________.
In this podcast we explore using the popular song Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeran in an English class. We look at the use of tenses in the song – especially past simple, used to/would + infinitive, and present perfect.
Complete the sentences by adding the past participle for each infinitive verb in brackets:
1. I’ve (be) ____________________ to France twice.
2. I have (complete) ____________________ three computer courses.
3. He hasn’t (speak) ____________________ to his bank manager since June.
4. They have just (leave) ____________________ the building.
5. I haven’t (eat) ____________________ Chinese food before.
6. I think Jim has (have) ____________________ enough of Lauren.
7. Ben has (drive) ____________________ 300 miles in the past two days.
8. We haven’t (sell) ____________________ many ice creams this week.
9. They have never (ask) ____________________ their parents for any help.
10. I’ve just (see) ____________________ that bag at a lower price in a different
11. I think the manager has (offer) ____________________ him a job.
12. We have (make) ____________________ a dozen cakes for the party.
13. Has he (clean) ____________________ the car yet?
14. How long have you (live) ____________________ in the UK?
15. I have never (hear) ____________________ of that play. Is it any good?